You can choose how awake you want to be. If you get extremely nervous at the dentist, maybe you would like to be completely under, but if you just get tense, there are medications that help relax your nerves. The four most common levels of sedation are: Minimal sedation where you are just relaxed but fully awake. Half-awake…
Why is a Dental Cleaning Important?
Professional dental cleaning is not simply for whitening the teeth. They have a remarkable effect on your oral and general health. Poor oral hygiene has been associated with many chronic conditions, including bone loss, diabetes, cardiovascular disease, and even oral cancer.
Brushing and flossing at home is essential, but no matter how hard you try, you cannot do the job as correctly as a dentist or dental hygienist can. Scheduling a routine dental cleaning and checkup will ensure that your teeth are healthy and thoroughly clean. Regular flossing and brushing cannot eliminate tartar (hardened plaque) from the teeth or gum line.
The importance of dental cleaning
Your teeth may be clean and strong, but your gums may be inflamed by gingivitis (the first stage of gum disease). Cavities may form on the back teeth, and that could mark the beginning of tooth decay or eventual tooth loss. All of these issues will be detected by the dentist when you go for a dental checkup. The importance of dental cleaning includes:
- The dental hygienist will be able to clean stains that may dull and discolor the teeth to give you a sparking and bright smile.
- Dental cleaning helps to prevent gum disease, which is the leading cause of tooth loss. There is a strong association between gum disease and heart disease. By having your teeth cleaned regularly, you can prevent the occurrence of gum disease and consequently lower the risks of heart attack and stroke.
- Oral cancer can be cured or managed if detected at its early stage – this is possible only if you go for a routine dental cleaning and checkup.
- Dental cleanings allow the dentist to detect issues with fillings or other dental restorations before they worsen into severe problems.
- Since many dental plans include cleanings, you will be able to save money on dental procedures eventually by making the best of your policy.
- Regular checkups and cleanings also help to avoid or treat persistent bad breath (halitosis).
Before proceeding with any dental procedure, the dental expert will clean the teeth thoroughly.
If the dentist discovers any severe issue while cleaning or examining the teeth, necessary arrangements will be made for treatments.
During your dental appointment, the dentist will check the alignment of your teeth. Crooked teeth tend to make cleaning difficult, and orthodontic treatment to straighten the teeth may be necessary. The dentist may also provide treatment for teeth grinding or sleep apnea.
That is not all
Going for professional dental cleanings allow your dentist or dental hygienist to compare the current condition of your oral health with that of your last visit. If your condition has worsened, the dental expert will take measures to restore your oral health.
It is easy for plaque (bacteria film) and tartar to accumulate on the teeth and cause dental decay and gum disease. The dental cleaning you get from the dental hygienist helps to keep this unwanted element away from your teeth. As part of your oral hygiene routine, dental experts recommend biannual visits to the dentist.
Check out what others are saying about our services on Yelp: Read our Yelp reviews.
The expected longevity of implant crowns ranges from 15 years to more than 20. How long your implant crowns last depend largely on how well you care for them. This review discusses how often implant crowns may require replacement, the differences between implant crown replacement and repair, and how to take good care of your…
Cavities are an unpleasant but all-too-common occurrence. Almost everyone knows that visiting the general dentist for a filling is the solution to a cavity. However, there are many untreated cavities, maybe because people do not understand how cavities are treated. Continue reading to learn more about the treatment options for cavities.The first step in cavity…
Dental implants are undoubtedly the most unique and innovative option when it comes to replacing missing teeth, and patients can now visit the implant dentist to replace one or more teeth with a natural-looking and fully functional prosthetic. One important point to note is that the success of the dental implant procedure also hinges on…